OFFICIAL MINUTES FOR:

RBCERTAA   BOARD MEETING

January 6th, 2004 - 6:30 p.m.

Billy’s Deli 

5160 W. 190th St., Torrance, CA.

 

 

Board Members Present:

Board Members Absent:

Guests:

Jared Van Sloten

Paul Weavers

Lisa Burke

Randy Stacy

 

Sherry Clark

Valerie Heath

 

Victor Clark

Garth McWhorter

Fire Department Liaison:

Bradley Young

Mike Grady

Division Chief Bob Engler

David Padula

Bob Heil

 

Michael Vaccaro

Margot Hoffman

 

Lauraine Caruana

John Moawad

 

 

Michelle Sayre

 

 

Alisa Zells

 

 

 

 

 

Meeting called to order by President Jared Von Sloten at 6:32 p.m. (10 board members present.)

 

Role call done by secretary, member absent:  Paul Weavers.

 

Motion to approve minutes for November 14th, 2003 was made by Mike second by Randy, passed by 10 board members present. 

 

Introductions of our guests:  Lisa Burke who made our Front Page Newsletter as our “Moulage Queen”, Sherry & Victor Clark from Class 22, Brad Young from Alhambra CERT (Brad is trying to implement a non-profit status, use our bylaws etc… for his city) and David Padula from Huntington Beach CERT (David recently moved to Hermosa Beach and asked to join our city CERT Team, it has been approved by the Chief Engler.)

 

 Old Business:

 

Treasurer’s Report:  Original Balance $3,556.48. Monies deposited this month:  $50 website ad for Nina Murphy deposit made 11/06, $34.62 (check# 2026 – reverse payment due to stolen check), and $80.00 from apparel on 12/06 deposit made 1/06.  Monies paid at this meeting $20.00 stop payment for check #2026, re-issuance of reimbursement to Margot Hoffman for $34.62. Garth to check with our bank since we are a non-profit organization may be they could waive the $20 fee.  Balance available:  $3,666.48.

 

Motion to waive the $20.00 stop payment fees to Margot made my Mike Grady second by John Moawad.

Motion to replace check #2026 with a new check made out to Margot for $34.62 made by Bob Heil, second by Mike, passed by 10 board members present.

 

Motion to reimburse Margot $14.18 for food purchase for Class 23 drill and to combine the $34.62 and the $14.18 on one check for a total of $48.80 was made by Alisa Zells, second by Randy Stacy, passed by 10 board members present.

 

Jared announced that the Fire Department presented him a check in the amount of $313.92 for the Hooles going away party.   Valerie Heath explained that some of this money needs to reimburse some of the costs that Margot and she had to absorb.   She asked for the board to reimburse them first and deposit any money left over into our funds.  Margot will turn in her receipts next month.

 

Valerie presented a $100 for the Hooles catering dinner, and $61.77 for balloons, strings, display stands for the Safety Fair.    Motion to reimburse Valerie $61.77 for safety fair purchases and $100.00 for the Hooles party made by Alisa; second by Randy, passed by all ten board members.

 

Master Calendar: 2004 calendar of activities distributed by Valerie.  Jared handed out an event worksheet to use if we think of additional events/trainings we would like to participate in this year.

 

Mike Grady proposed the following uses for our new trailer:  Have it displayed at graduations, at both Torrance and Redondo Beach for Relay for Life, Redondo Beach 10k, Safety Fair and any type of outdoor activities.  Suggestions for maintaining the trailer: Whoever gets to pull the trailer for events should wash it before.  Nothing will be stored in it, the trailer will remain unlocked at Fire Station two..  It will be used for transport only, we will need to educate people how to fill it up and empty it out, when it is being deployed.

 

Bob Heil proposed that we gather a list of activities where the Redondo Beach CERT Alumni applied their skills within the course of the year.   It would be nice to show our Mayor that CERT Alumni were involved in for example 300 emergencies / incidents within the city and used their skills to support their community. Perhaps have a section on the Website: “Share your story!”

 

10k run booth: Randy Stacy is able to get a booth at no cost to CERT.  From last year’s experience, Saturday is easier to sign up people since they are there to enjoy themselves and visit all local sports vendors.  Perhaps have a raffle for fundraiser? Do we have enough people to man it? Event date and time: January 31, 2004 10:00am – 6:00pm and February 1st, 2004 6:00am – 1:00pm.  Randy will email all board members once he has more information.

 

Mike brought back the concept of doing teams in 2004 putting together one team with 40 people, small group, specialize in triage (Bob and Mike looking into taking EMT classes), communications team to work command post, fire suppression team to work with small fires (using a 20lb fire extinguisher).  Have a small group to do leadership; set to go and work the incident. We would work in conjunction with the fire department in specialized training.

 

LA CERT will have another convention this year, dates to be announced.  There will also be a nationwide CERT competition this year, Chief Engler was not sure if we are part of this, Jared asked Mike to put something together for next board meeting.

 

Mike also proposed that we acquire two defibrillators by the end of the year. CERT graduates could come back for training on the AED; we would know where they are located in the city; shelf life five years. 

 

Participation ideas: At the next graduation Board Members would get together with new graduates and become their sponsors, answer questions, be with them, pick them up and drive them to next training/drill.  Alumni would be the mentor for that day, in turn, the “formally” new graduates get to pair with a brand new graduate at the next graduation drill.   This will stimulate more participation at our training/drills, make new members feel welcome and remove intimidation.

 

John Moawad would like to have a survey to find out where people are.  “Why did you take the class?”  Did they take the class just for one time or to pursue it?  Mike explained that out of 300 surveys sent, only limited amount were sent back.  Things we did to get previous people; entice with training, alumni party, and CERT bags. If we didn’t bring them back, then we need to work for the future. Lead them and not drive them. Go back to basics:  Go to class, have ten minute to introduce yourself (welcome speech) make it more personal.  Chief Engler mentioned of doing a post-class critique.

 

Drills & Trainings:  Fire Engineer Bob Herrera will be our instructor for our area survey. This will be a two hour walk to look at different street blocks, to be able to identify where the gas and electricity shutoffs are for condominiums and single family dwellings.  Also look for shoring material in the event somebody needs to be rescued, and be aware of potential hazards in the street, etc…

 

In the past years, phone-tree used to be activated to contact people about upcoming drills; we are now doing it by email, website and recorded message on our hot line.   Maybe by not having the “human touch” when actually talking to people, we have made a lesser impact. Chief Engler proposed to activate the phone tree for next drill (February 21st). Do 50 calls randomly and see who shows up.

 

Communications:  Bob Heil has not received any responses back about the HAM operator survey.

 

Website Sponsorship:  none to report at this time.

 

Website:  Everything is running smoothly, the year-end Newsletter has been posted.

 

Funding & Equipment:  Vons equipment: we are expecting delivery within one week. Storage will be in the container at Station 2.

 

Phone Tree:  We need somebody to relieve Mike from phone tree duty. This person must be familiar with Microsoft Excel (basics).

 

Boutique CERT:  Michelle and Alisa did inventory on CERT apparel last week and provided a list of what we have on hand: 33 CERT Bags, 961 hats, 161 lanyards, 139 large clear stickers, 45 small clear stickers, 17x3” color stickers, 11x5” color stickers, 11x7” color stickers, 7x10” color stickers, 152 T-Shirts, 128 Sweatshirts and 106 blue Gore-Tex bags.  From the inventory; 1 T-shirt and 3 sweatshirts were damaged. Motion to give damaged apparel to Lisa for Moulage training drill made by Valerie; second by Randy; passed by all ten board members.  Great job ladies for doing this tedious count!

 

Welcome Packet: Jared, Randy and Valerie are working on a welcome packet to give at CERT classes. Valerie proposed a PowerPoint presentation of various CERT activities, bloopers, as an introduction as to what CERT is all about. Not all work, but fun too! Chief Engler thought it was a great idea. He will need to allocate time for it since he has new trainers and he and Captain Martinez are trying to step down from the training program.

 

New Business:

 

Fire Department’s corner:  Chief Engler informed stated that RBCERTAA has been doing a great job. As you all know Division Chief Don Herr has retired and we are getting a new Battalion Chief: Frank Mead, from Huntington Beach.

 

Mike proposed once we have our elections, it would be nice to have a special dinner to install new Executive Officers, recognize past members, people who built the program. If we could schedule it sometime in July; Mike asked for the Fire Department to help reserving meeting room at Alta Vista.

 

Margot will be in charge of food. She thanked all of the board members for attending the Christmas party and for bringing their generous pot luck contributions.  She also apologized for not tightening up the menu because we had a large amount of food left over.  Everyone was in agreement that they were happy that the leftovers were donated to the Fire Department.  Lisa Burke was greatly missed that night, and we are looking forward to having more Alumni members who are regular attendees to the board meetings at our Christmas party next year.

 

Announcements:  Bob Heil found an EMT training at Long Beach for 4 weeks; four nights per week; Monday – Thursday, 4:00pm – 10:00pm. This program gives state certification.

 

Alisa pointed out that Michelle donated 9 gallon containers for CERT apparel. Michelle will bring cost of containers to next board meeting in order to be reimbursed.

 

“CERT” how to get our name out there? Victor Clark will look into this for us.

 

In closing, page 3 newsletter; Jared activities in 2003 Jared congratulated all of us for a fantastic job done in 2003 and hopes to continue in 2004.

 

Having no further business the Board Meeting was adjourned at approximately 8:21pm.

 

 

                                                                                     

                                                                                          Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

                                                                                          Valerie Heath,

                                                                                          RBCERTAA Secretary

 

 

 

Minutes approved by Board on: _____________________________________